Everyday is a new learning opportunity. I have been a programmer for more than 5 years now, but I realized sometimes people tend to ignore smaller nice features – which you later repent you should have learned years ago. Here is what I learned today about java/javaw.
The javaw command is identical to java, except that with javaw there is no associated console window. Use javaw when you don’t want a command prompt window to appear. The javaw launcher will, however, display a dialog box with error information if a launch fails for some reason.
Just giving you a background on why it was useful to me: I was working on a shared machine with my co-workers and I used to leave one of my tools running in the console. This tool was supposed to stay alive all the time to serve its purpose of polling the logged users – but sometimes it used to get killed by some other users (and sometimes myself too) in ignorance. Then when I learned using ‘javaw’ I didnt have to care even if I myself or my co-workers killed the console, the program ran on the background anyways.
You could run your programs as a service anyways – but I am not going to advocate about those ideas in this post today.
More from: Java General
- All About Java Garbage Collection : Types, Algorithms, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Java Static Import Explained With Easy Example With Source Code
- SQL Example To Create Table On MySql DB
- Book Review – Drools JBoss Rules 5.X Developer’s Guide by Micahal Bali (Packt Publishing)
- List of valid @suppresswarning annotation parameters in Java for Eclipse and IBM RAD IDE
- Finding Java System Properties
- List of Major Java 7 Features – How java programming language has changed in JDK 7
- Date From Timestamp in Long format
- How to resolve – java.lang.VerifyError java.lang.SecurityException: Signers of org.junit.runner.Runner do not match signers of other classes in package
- Complete List Of Java Keywords
- List of 25 Plus Devices That Run On Java
- What is the difference between java and javaw?
- These 100 plus programming languages run on Java Virtual machine (List)
- Read XML File In JAVA using DOM – A Simple Tutorial