This off-topic from Java but might sometimes be needed for a java developer so thought of posting it. It’s a kind of windows tips.
Sometimes, you might not be able to shutdown the computer from the windows due to some policies setup for that machine. For example I am not allowed shut down a shared machine or a server that is running application server. There is a hack. An alternate way to shutdown and restart the computer is to pass the shutdown command from the dos prompt. I have always been successful.
- Shutdown –s [shutdowns the computers]
- Shutdown –r [restarts the computer]
- Shutdown –l [logs off the computer]
- There are several other parameters that you can pass to shutdown command. Simply runt he command shudown/? to see other flags that you can pass to this dos command.
Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \computername] [-t xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy] No args Display this message (same as -?) -i Display GUI interface, must be the first option -l Log off (cannot be used with -m option) -s Shutdown the computer -r Shutdown and restart the computer -a Abort a system shutdown -m \computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort -t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds -c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters) -f Forces running applications to close without warning -d [u][p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown u is the user code p is a planned shutdown code xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256) yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)[My Video Promotion]
More from: Out Of Box
- 4 Dog Defense
- How to shutdown windows computer from the DOS Prompt – what command to use
- How big can a computer memory be? Here is a list of memory units from Bit to Coperbyte.
- Free Subversion Hosting For Your Projects
- How to easily open two excel spreadsheets in two different monitors
- Some Keyboard Shortcuts For Macbook Pro With Retina Display
- Java Cross Platform Benefit: Write Once , Run Anywhere